Nominations Open for Prestigious 2020 Small Business of the Year Award
Oct 07, 2019
Nominations are now open for one of the biggest honors a small business can receive: The Greater Kansas City Chamber of Commerce’s 2020 Small Business of the Year, also known as the prestigious Mr. K Award. The nomination deadline is November 18, 2019. Businesses can be nominated through this link. This honor is open to for-profit businesses headquartered in the Greater KC area that meet the following criteria:
- Employ no more than 250 full-time equivalent employees
- Be committed to good business practices
- Have grown or sustained employee count and/or sales
- Have a good history of employee relations
- Must be a member of the KC Chamber by the time of application.
The Chamber will notify nominated businesses, who can then apply through February 7, 2020.
The Small Business Celebration is a series of events designed to support and celebrate small businesses in the Greater KC region. Since 1987, the award has honored small businesses that have shown growth and have a record of giving back to the community.
“Small businesses are the heart of our economy,” said Chamber President & CEO Joe Reardon. “They are born out of the entrepreneurship, creativity, and leadership from people right here in our community, and they help define who we are as Greater KC. This celebration lifts those small businesses up and gives them the recognition they deserve.”
Following the application, the Small Business Showcase features nominated companies participating in the showcase in Union Station’s Grand Hall. After the showcase comes the highly competitive selection of the Top 10 Small Businesses, one of which will be named Small Business of the Year at the May 2020 awards luncheon.
Additional awards presented at the luncheon include:
- The KC Chamber Diverse Small Business Award
- The KC Chamber Emerging Business Award
- The KC Chamber Weida Award for International Business
- The KC Chamber Legacy of Kansas City Award.
The 2019 Small Business of the Year was TREKK Design Firm.