The KC Streetcar Adjusts Hours and Service in Support of Kansas City's Reopening
May 12, 2020
(Kansas City, Missouri) – In support of Kansas City, Missouri’s gradual reopening of downtown businesses, the KC Streetcar will slowly add service and hours in a phased approach.
Subject to updates or related guidance from Kansas City, Missouri’s Health Department, and local authorities, beginning on Monday, May 18, the KC Streetcar will observe the following hours of operation and service levels. Schedule adjustments may be made during Phase I in response to observed demand and downtown activity levels.
- Monday-Friday: 6:00 am to 9:00 pm, two streetcars all day with a third streetcar added between 10:00 am-2:00 pm.
- Saturday: 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, two streetcars all day with a third streetcar added between 9:00 am to 6:00 pm.
- Sunday: 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, two streetcars all day.
“We look forward to supporting Kansas City’s recovery,” said Tom Gerend, executive director of the KC Streetcar Authority. “This near-term service expansion will support businesses coming back online and provide riders more options and more space as they are making their travel choices,” continued Gerend.
Phase I carries forward all current mitigations efforts (shown below) and slightly expands the streetcar operations schedule and on-route car availability:
- Retain COVID-19 instituted car and facility cleaning procedures, including mid-day streetcar cleaning.
- Retain on-board and on-shelter signage related to social distancing.
- Retain on-board hand sanitizer dispensers.
- Retain operations policy related to auto-door opening when weather conditions permit.
- Retain enforcement on limiting “continuous riding”.
- Retain PPE availability for operations, maintenance, and security personal, including face masks and gloves.
- Retain equipping staff with sanitization equipment including wipes, spray, and hand sanitizer.
- Retain on-board seat signage, limiting seat availability.
- Continue public messaging in a manner consistent with local government, KCMO health department directives and best practices, and regional transit partners.
A full list of mitigation efforts can be found on our website. This service expansion will support additional ridership demand and local business activity, and provide for a period of evaluation prior to the full reopening of streetcar service as downtown businesses, special events, and related ridership generators come back online. Phase I will run until May 31 at a minimum with the total length of time to be determined based on local guidelines and ridership demands. These factors will be evaluated weekly after initiation.
Phase II will be activated once downtown activity levels, ridership demand, related operating schedule refinements, and final local guidance on long-term COVID-19 responses are better known. The practices, policies, and schedule outlined in Phase II is intended to be continuous and long-term. During Phase II, the KC Streetcar will resume regular operating hours and service, including an additional streetcar in operation on First Fridays and Saturdays.
The complete KC Streetcar reactivation plan can be found on our website. The KC Streetcar is closely monitoring the situation and will follow instructions and recommendations issued by the City of Kansas City, Missouri, the Kansas City Health Department, and RideKC partners. Any changes in service and operations will be communicated electronically through the KC Streetcar website (www.kcstreetcar.org/clean), social media channels and the RideKC Notify text alert system (text ‘streetcar’ to 816.685.8541).
For KC Streetcar inquiries, contact Donna Mandelbaum with the KC Streetcar Authority at 816.627.2526 (office), 816.877.3219 (cell) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. The KC Streetcar is also online at www.kcstreetcar.org and on Twitter (@kcstreetcar), Facebook (@kcstreetcar) and Instagram.